Dentist in Dublin, CA offers tips for wearing full dentures with confidence
Dr. Munira Lokhandwala, a dentist in Dublin, CA, provides a wide array of treatment options for patients in the community. Whether patients require a simple cleaning or full mouth rehabilitation, StarBrite Dental can help.
Patients who wear full dentures may have concerns regarding the retention of the dentures in the smile. Dr. Munira Lokhandwala is pleased to share with patients some tips for wearing full dentures with confidence!
What are full dentures?
Full dentures, sometimes referred to as complete dentures, are dentures used to replace the entire arch of teeth. They are typically created from acrylic materials and include false teeth and false gums. When patients wear their dentures, they can speak properly and eat their favorite foods. However, some patients have issues with their full dentures. They may not feel confident in eating foods such as steak or apples, and they may worry about their dentures staying in place during social situations. Dr. Munira Lokhandwala of StarBrite Dental works with patients who are wearing dentures to provide them tips and tricks to keeping dentures stable and fully functioning.
Tips for wearing full dentures
Below are a few tips and recommendations from Dr. Munira Lokhandwala and her team regarding denture retention:
- Wear dentures daily to help your mouth adapt. Many changes can happen after patients have started using full dentures in their mouth. It is best to wear the dentures as often as possible to ensure the mouth adjusts appropriately.
- Ensure a proper fit and function. Most patients with full denture retain them with denture adhesives. This is a special gel that is used to keep dentures in place, so they function correctly. If the dentures do not fit, or if the fit changes, patients should visit their dentist as soon as possible to have adjustments made.
- Keep the dentures clean. Extending the lifespan of dentures is easy by taking proper care of them. Patients should brush their dentures and clean them with a denture cleanser. Additionally, the dentures should be kept moist by soaking them in denture solution at night while patients sleep.
- Use the right amount of adhesive. Patients can typically retain their dentures with a small amount of denture adhesive. However, if patients find that they are using more and more adhesive to keep the dentures in place, there may be an underlying issue that may be resolved with a visit to the dentist. By visiting a professional for an evaluation, patients can find out if there needs to be adjustments made to their dentures, or if they need to have a new one created due to changes in the structures of the mouth, including the bone ridge of the upper or lower gums.
- Consider implant-retained dentures. For patients who struggle with keeping their dentures in place, a solution such as implant-retention should be discussed with a professional. This type of denture locks into four dental implants placed along the dental arch during oral surgery. This is the best solution for proper retention and durability.
- Visit the dentist regularly. When patients visit their dentist regularly, they are maintaining their oral health and wellness with a team of professionals. Patients with full dentures should bring their denture with them during their appointment to have them evaluated for fit and function by Dr. Munira Lokhandwala.
Who is a candidate for full dentures?
Full dentures are used for patients who have lost all their teeth in the dental arch. This may be a result of disease or decay. Patients who are missing most of their teeth but want to wear full dentures should consider the benefits of having the remaining teeth removed to prepare the smile for complete dentures. Patients seeking implant-supported dentures need to have sufficient bone available for a successful surgery. This ensures the process of osseointegration can occur, which is the growth of bone around the implant itself. This is what holds the implant in place naturally. Patients may discuss the possibility of bone grafting to prepare the smile for the placement of an implant.
Discuss denture wearing solutions with Dr. Munira Lokhandwala
At StarBrite Dental, Dublin, CA patients can achieve a more beautiful smile, even if it means the fabrication and placement of full dentures. Our practice, located at 7197 Village Parkway, Suite B, can provide patients solutions for tooth replacement. Call the office today at (925) 828-0252 to request an appointment to learn more.Back to Dentures Page